Derived from the English word “bridge” which means “bridge”, the bridge is a fixed prosthesis which is based on pillar teeth to replace a lost or badly damaged tooth. For this, we say that this technique is irreversible.
What is a bridge ?
When one or more teeth are missing, and the sector is framed by crowned teeth or teeth requiring to be crowned, it is possible to weld on these teeth an artificial tooth in suspension, which does not rest on the bone or on the gum. This avoids the placement of an implant.
Here is the example of a bridge of 3 teeth : a pivot tooth on the second premolar, a crown on the second molar, and between the two, an artificial molar welded in bridge to the two aforementioned teeth.
If the two teeth surrounding the missing space are healthy: they will therefore have to be devitalized and mutilated to replace only one. In this case, the implant would probably have been a better choice. If both teeth have to be treated, on the other hand, the bridge becomes interesting.
These bridges can be of different types :
– The metal bridge, which due to its unsightly color, will only rarely be used to replace an anterior tooth.
– The ceramo-metallic bridge, whose metal coping is covered with ceramic.
– The all-ceramic bridge, entirely in ceramic.
– The vestibular inlay bridge, where only the vestibular part is made of ceramic or resin.
There are also bridges “glued” to supporting teeth, slightly ground, but the latter must be in excellent health. The risk of failure, and in particular of loosening, is a little higher than average. You can also rely on implants to support the artificial tooth in suspension: the bridge is then called “ implant-supported ”.
Should it be preferred to an implant?
The advantages of bridge
– The bridge can replace several teeth at the same time
– Its price is generally much more affordable than that of implants
– The teeth are very aesthetic and go unnoticed.
The disadvantages of bridge
– Sometimes you have to make the “sacrifice” of two healthy teeth.
– She is poorly reimbursed by social security.
– The tooth being in suspension, the gum bone may retract due to lack of stimulation and the future placement of an implant will be compromised.
The advantages of the implant
– It leaves the teeth that frame it intact.
– Its maintenance is much simpler.
– It stimulates the bone during chewing and does not cause its degeneration.
The disadvantages of the implant
– The price is often high.
– It is not reimbursed by social security.
– The procedure is long.
The installation of a bridge
The installation of a bridge is done in several ways but generally it follows this path:
1) The dental surgeon treats the missing area or extracts the remaining piece of tooth.
2) He then makes the dental impression using a paste so that a prosthetist makes the bridge.
3) During the 3rd appointment , we proceed to the installation of the bridge, which is very fast.